Artist Spotlight

[Mixtape] Cool Mill - #CoolMill

 

For Those Who do Not Like To Pimp a Butterfly





It has been a little over a week since the suprise, Beyonceesque debut of Kendrick Lamar's sophomore album To Pimp a Butterfly (TPAB). I have heard several critiques about the long awaited follow up to Good Kid Maad City, and have gathered many mixed reviews. And I personally must admit, the first few times I listed to the album I was not in love.

I did not feel the same jaw dropping excitement I felt riding down the highway when an LA homie played "Michael Jordan" for me for the first time or when I finally peeled off the packaging to GKMC and bumped it in my car. This album was different, so I kept listening. And I kept listening some more really and truly peeling back the meaning, picking apart the sound. And after a week of sitting with it, that excitement manifested. This album is A LOT, hard to swallow for even some of Kendrick's longest and truest fans. It brings a different level of black consciousness and sound that we are not used to in music today, every song I mean EVERY song forces you to really dig deep and reflect on the pro/anti blackness, observation and wisdom that the young Compton MC has encountered. He puts Good Kid Maad City in a larger context and really digs deep, deeper than he has before on any project.

So for those who do not like the album or are saying it does not live up to GKMC, keep listening,




Post A Comment
  • Blogger Comment using Blogger
  • Facebook Comment using Facebook
  • Disqus Comment using Disqus

No comments :


Videos

Loading...